Apply NowApplications are accepted throughout the year for journeyman, postdoctoral and senior fellows. Summer program and short-term fellowship deadlines are listed in the project description.
The Department of Defense (DoD) is now accepting applications for their 2019 Summer HBCU/MSI Faculty Fellowship. This program aims to strengthen the collaboration between the U.S. Department of Defense (DoD) and STEM faculty affiliated with Historically Black Colleges & Universities (HBCU) and Minority Serving Institutions (MSI). Participation requires a commitment of ten consecutive weeks between May 1st and August 31st. Fellows will receive a total stipend of $25,000 paid on a bi-weekly schedule. A housing and travel allowance is available for eligible participants. Selected Faculty Fellows will participate in research at one of five Army Research Lab Directorates:
- Computational and Information Sciences Directorate (CISD)
- Human Research and Engineering Directorate (HRED)
- Sensors and Electron Devices Directorate (SEDD)
- Vehicle Technology Directorate (VTD)
- Weapons and Materials Research Directorate (WMRD)
To be eligible for this opportunity applicants:
- Must be a citizen of the United States;
- Must be a current HBCU/MSI STEM Faculty member;
- Have not collaborated with ARL within the past five years.
Deadline: Friday, March 8, 2019
How to Apply
A complete application includes:
- Current Curriculum Vitae (include list of any papers, presentations, or publications)
- Letters of Support (2) (The support letters should speak to the applicants’ quality and fit to the host ARL campaign, and feasibility of the proposed research project)
- Reference Letter (1)
- Research Info Paper
The Research Info Paper is a 2-4 page document describing your research capabilities and how those capabilities and your research interest can impact the DOD research mission. Please follow the template below for format and required content of the info paper.
- Applicant Information:
- Applicant Name
- Applicant Email
- Applicant Phone
- Applicant Discipline
- Research Capabilities. Concisely explain your research capabilities – Describe the research you have conducted and the techniques you are familiar with.
- Interest. Concisely explain your interest – what specific DOD area of research you would like to explore. Explain how your expertise can impact the desired research area.
- Outcome. State the expected/desired outcome(s) of the 10 week experience.
- Follow-on Engagement. Include how the research can be continued at your home institution for continued collaboration with the DOD.
If you have any questions about the HBCU/MSI Summer Faculty Fellowship, please the contact ARL-RAP recruiter, Krystle Wagemann.