Health Risk Assessments & Consulting
Do you know what occupational or environmental health issues are in your organization?
Could your organization be experiencing or missing health issues… or not doing enough to prevent them? Your organization may be at risk for regulatory non-compliance.
Typical exposure assessments:
Lack of understanding of current or emerging health risks or their potential impacts is not a defense strategy. Organizations that are not addressing these potential issues appropriately may benefit from a health risk assessment and consulting on proactive mitigation or management strategies. That’s where ORAU comes in.
ORAU provides independent, evidence-based scientific evaluations and assessments of your organization’s risk for current and emerging health issues. Our expertise includes industrial hygiene, epidemiology, toxicology, genomics, and subject matter consultation to legal counsel. Through extensive health risk assessments, ORAU will identify the nature, scope, and breadth of the risk, evaluate your specific situation and develop a program for risk mitigation or management.
We are experienced in providing health risk assessments and consulting to corporate counsel, independent attorneys, trade organizations, industry representatives, hospitals and domestic and international governments. We have deep subject matter expertise in energy-related occupational and environmental exposures, specialization in the oil and gas industry and extensive knowledge of third-party liability issues and any situation where science and regulatory compliance intersect.
What we offer
- Health risk and exposure assessments
- Regulatory compliance
- Risk identification, evaluation and control
- Management and mitigation of current and emerging health issues
- Litigation support
- Expert testimony
- Comprehensive literature reviews
- Occupational and epidemiological studies
- Independent reviews
- Subject matter expert support
- Health surveillance
Contributing to a better understanding of exposures and cancer risks
Through separate projects, ORAU investigated risk factors in the development and survivability of cancer. In the first project, ORAU investigated occupational exposures to chemotherapeutic drugs among oncology nurses. The study identified potential exposures and ways to better handle these drugs and communicate their potential risks, thus minimizing exposure threats to these caregivers. ORAU also worked with Pikeville (Ky.) Medical Center to assess environmental and genetic risk factors among a cohort of cancer patients diagnosed with triple negative breast and ovarian cancers who were surviving longer than expected. ORAU partnered with the University of Tennessee’s College of Nursing on the projects.
Martin Barrie, Ph.D., J.D.
Senior Scientist, Epidemiologist, and Principal of ORAU Commercial Sector Initiative
Expertise: Occupational and environmental epidemiology, industrial hygiene, health toxicology/genetics, litigation and regulatory support
- 20 years experience as a trial lawyer
- Lead author, “Nanobiomonitoring and surveillance: opportunities to confirm the protection of nanomaterial workers.” Synergist, Feb. 2017
- Member, National Counsel on Radiation Protection and Measurements (NCRP SC 5-2 Working Group) on TENORM
- Officer, American Industrial Hygiene Association, Nanotechnology Working Group
- Member, American Industrial Hygiene Association, Legal Affairs Committee