"Atometer" Colorimetric Dosimeter (ca. 1952-1955)
The Atometer was a simple colorimetric dosimeter manufactured by Magnex Corporation of Jamaica, New York.
The instructions on the side read: "After an atom bomb explosion to determine the degree of exposure to gamma radiation:
- Tear lemon yellow control panel and inner lead foil wrapper.
- Compare color of liquid with control panel and with color bands.
- Scratch a check mark on matching color band or control panel.
- Close panel and avoid exposing liquid to light."
Control Panel color bands
Golden Yellow: 50R
Orange Red: 400R
Size: 2.25” x 0.75”
Weight: 1 oz
Donated by Jack Greene.
- Nucleonics. August 1952, p 84.
- Atomic Energy Commission Radiation Measuring Instruments, RIB-8 (supplement 2) July 1, 1954, page BFC-1A.