Instrument Development Laboratories Model 162 Binary Scaler (1946-1948)
Instrument Development Laboratories was founded by John Kuranz, Thomas Mitchell and James Schoke in 1946, and their first product was a binary scaler. In 1947, the company became known as the Nuclear Instrument and Chemical Corporation—the new name started to be used in 1948. In 1954, the name changed to Nuclear Chicago.
The collection also has a version of the Model 162 manufactured by the company when it became known as the Nuclear Instrument and Chemical Corporation.
This very early binary scaler employs a scale of 128. Since it has no mechanical register, an external unit was required.
High Voltage: 0-2500 volts
Size: 14" x 21" x 9.5"
Donated by Ron Kathren.
Grigg, E.R.N., The Trail of the Invisible Light, Charles C Thomas, Springfield 1965.