Events Sponsorship Program
Grants up to $4,000 available to ORAU Consortium member universities
Event or conference sponsorship is often beneficial to our Council of Sponsoring Institution Members, whether as a means of fostering collaboration among Council members, gaining new and important information for a proposal or business plan, and more.
To help make these event opportunities possible, ORAU’s University Partnerships Office offers an Events Sponsorship program to member institutions. Each member university is limited to one award per fiscal year (October through September).
Up to $4,000 may be requested to support an event that involves participants from more than one ORAU member institution, including students. Examples of such events include visits to an ORAU consortium member by a renowned speaker, conferences or workshops with a focused theme, or a technology transfer/business plan competition.
Two calls for proposals will be issued during each ORAU fiscal year (October 1 to September 30).
The deadline for submitting applications for the Events Sponsorship Program Cycle 1 (covering events occurring between October 1, 2021 thru April 30, 2022) is September 1, 2021.
Funding and restrictions
- Funding is provided exclusively from non-federal monies by ORAU.
- ORAU does not allow overhead charges or indirect costs on the award.
- All events must be completed by September 30 (the end of ORAU’s fiscal year).
- For future event grant competitions, seminar series will not be considered for support due to the limited engagement by other ORAU member institutions.
Frequently asked questions
Any ORAU member institution in good standing may submit an event grant application through their ORAU Councilor. Only applications endorsed by an institution’s ORAU Councilor will be considered. An institution is considered in good standing when membership fees are up-to-date and required reports for existing award programs are current.
Calls for proposals will be issued twice during ORAU’s fiscal year (October 1 through September 30) and each institution is eligible for one event grant per fiscal year. Funding must be awarded prior to the event—retroactive funds requests will not be considered. All events must be completed by September 30 of each year.
Event grants will be considered for events that meet the following criteria:
- Participation by more than one ORAU institution is required. One ORAU member university will submit the proposal and manage the grant funds.
- Potential impact of the event, including the number of institutions or participants will be a big factor in our decision.
- Participation by students is considered a positive factor.
- New events are preferred over ongoing or annual events with established financial models.
- Preference will be given to events in STEM disciplines.
- A representative from ORAU must be invited to the event and will attend, if possible.
A report documenting participation and outcomes must be submitted within 30 days following the event. Reports may be submitted to email@example.com.
If for some unforeseen reason the event cannot occur as stated in the grant request, please contact the University Partnerships Office to inform us of the revised date. If the awarded event is cancelled, the grant funds need to be returned to ORAU. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to receive further guidance.
Funding is provided exclusively from non-federal monies by ORAU, and overhead charges or indirect costs are not allowed on the award.
Ready to apply?
Please complete the application below. In addition, an email from your ORAU Councilor endorsing your request is required and should be attached at the bottom of the application.