The purpose of the IH/OS SIG Steering Committee is to select and coordinate the activities of the SIG. The IH/OS SIG Steering Committee will represent the DOE complex as much as possible and ensures that all perspectives of occupational health and safety are considered.
Steering Committee Members
Steering Committee Responsibilities & Guidelines
IH/OS SIG Steering Committee members assume the following responsibilities:
- Obtain support from their management to participate in IH/OS SIG Steering Committee activities.
- Perform activities which allow the IH/OS SIG to fulfill its mission and purpose.
- Participate in Steering Committee conference call meetings as time will permit. Most events occur through conference call meetings. Normally Steering Committee Conference Calls occur every 4 – 6 weeks for about 1 hour. Members are also encouraged to participate either through conference call format or attend in person the annual DOE and DOE Contractors Industrial Hygiene Meeting.
- Present on safety and/or health topics of interest during regular Steering Committee Conference Call meetings.
- Provide input on special interest group activities.
- Ensure that their site is aware of the IH/OS SIG safety and health resources on the SIG Website.
General guidelines include:
- The Steering Committee membership should consist of DOE, DOE contractor, and labor union personnel, representing various contractors, disciplines, functions, and facility types (e.g., R&D, weapons, reprocessing, reactors, accelerators). Steering Committee members have primary responsibility for industrial hygiene or occupational safety within their organizations.
- Permanent members of the Steering Committee include IH/OS SIG DOE Advisors/Sponsors and the IH/OS SIG Coordinator. All other Steering Committee members are appointed to three-year terms through an election process.
- The goal of the Steering Committee is to have 21 members, as represented below:
- 15 Contractor representatives
- 3 DOE Operations/Field/Site Office Representative
- 2 DOE Advisors (contingent on number of DOE Sponsoring Offices)
- 1 IH/OS SIG Coordinator
- The Steering Committee should include a Chair position.
- All Steering Committee members, including the Sponsors and the SIG Coordinator, are voting members. Decisions shall be determined by majority vote.
- Steering Committee members who are unable to fulfill their term may name a replacement from their facility to complete the term.
- Upon completion of a term, Steering Committee members are eligible to submit a nomination form for consideration for an additional term as a Steering Committee member.
Chair Responsibilities, Guidelines, and Appointment Terms
The IH/OS SIG Chair will assume the following responsibilities:
- Promote the IH/OS SIG within the DOE community.
- Represent the IH/OS SIG to his/her facility.
- Coordinate closely with the IH/OS SIG Coordinator.
- Provide leadership in sharing resources and seeking new resources to share throughout the SIG network and Website.
- Participate in and chair SIG Steering Committee meetings, including conference calls.
- Meet as needed with SIG Coordinator and DOE SIG Sponsors/Advisors.
- Monitor activities/events of IH/OS SIG task forces/teams.
Guidelines and Appointment Terms
The Steering Committee includes a Chair position. The Chair will serve three years as the Chair.
« Return to About IH/OS SIG